Specialty: News Director
PHL17 (WPHL) in Philadelphia is looking for a News Director who is a passionate, powerful producer and leader. This unique opportunity is perfect for the candidate who loves getting an early start to their day. You’ll oversee PHL17 Mornings News, a four-hour community driven morning show. We’re looking for someone who knows the importance of collaboration. If you have a proven track record of managing a team and elevating the production value of shows, this is the opportunity for you. In addition to PHL17 Morning News, you’ll guide production of newsroom weekly shows: PHL17 Sports Scene, In Focus, our community affairs program and the trending topics show, Delco Duo.
From exploring the historical sites like Independence Hall to taking in a Philadelphia Eagles game at Lincoln Financial Field, you’ll have plenty of places to explore in the City of Brotherly Love.
The News Director leads and supervises all aspects of news, weather, and sports programming production.
• Manages all aspects of the News Department
• Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion, and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• College degree or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Strong producing background, with at least three years’ experience in a management position
• Experience guiding, directing, and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.